Abbazia di Santa Maria di Pulsano
- Localita Pulsano SW of Monte Sant'Angelo 9km SW of Monte Sant'Angelo
- tel, info: 0884 56 10 47
Lonely Planet review for Abbazia di Santa Maria di Pulsano
The isolated Abbazia di Santa Maria di Pulsano, 9km southwest of town, sits on the edge of the vast Pulsano gorge overlooking the bay of Manfredonia. Originally built at the end of the 6th century, it was destroyed in 952 by the Saracens and rebuilt by the Benedictines in 1129. Well-preserved 12th-century Apulian art can be seen in the cave chapel. Look for the hermit cells and caves in the cliff face.