Lonely Planet review
The indisputable highlight of this museum - arranged around the monastery's tranquil Chiostro Verde (Green Cloister; 1332-62), which takes its name from the green earth base used for the frescoes on three of the cloister's four walls - is the spectacular Cappellone degli Spagnoli (Spanish Chapel). On the north side of the cloister, the chapel is covered in extraordinary frescoes (c 1365-67) by Andrea di Bonaiuto. The vault features depictions of the Resurrection, Ascension and Pentecost, and on the altar wall are scenes of the Via Dolorosa, Crucifixion and Descent into Limbo. On the right wall is a huge fresco of The Militant and Triumphant Church - look in the foreground for a portrait of Cimabue, Giotto, Boccaccio, Petrarch and Dante. Other frescoes in the chapels depict the Triumph of Christian Doctrine, 14 figures symbolising the Arts and Sciences, and the Life of St Peter.
On the west side of the cloister, a passage leads to the 14th-century Cappella degli Ubriachi and a large refectory featuring ecclesiastical relics and a 1583 Last Supper by Alessandro Allori.