Gold Market

Lonely Planet review

The narrow covered Gold Market passage, running alongside the southern edge of the Great Mosque, was built in AD 1476 by prominent Gazan judge, Sheikh Shams al-Din-al-Himsi, and originally formed part of a much bigger covered market. The rest of the market was destroyed during WWI, but today this short passageway is still the place where all spouses-to-be come to pick out jewellery.

Sadly, due to recent food shortages in Gaza, the gold market has also started to play host to elderly Gazans, selling off family heirlooms in the hope of raising some sorely needed extra cash.