Also known as the Scottish Church, St Andrew’s was built in 1927 to commemorate the capture of the city and the Holy Land by the British in WWI. The buildings are an intriguing mix of Western and Arabic influences; take note of the exquisite Armenian tiles outside the entrance to the guesthouse and church (these were designed in a workshop on the Via Dolorosa).
The church floor features an inscription to the memory of Robert the Bruce, who requested that his heart be buried in Jerusalem when he died. Sir James Douglas made an attempt at fulfilling Bruce’s wish but en route he was killed in Spain, fighting the Moors. The heart was recovered and returned to Scotland, where it’s now buried at Melrose.