Church of the Pater Noster

sights / Historic

Church of the Pater Noster information

Location
Jerusalem , Israel
Prices
admission free
Opening hours
8.30-11.45am & 3-4.45pm Mon-Sat
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Beside the cave in which Jesus is believed to have spoken to his disciples, Queen Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, constructed the Church of the Pater Noster . The church, also known as the Church of the Eleona – a bastardisation of the Greek word elaionas ( olive grove) – was destroyed by the Persians in 614. The site later became known as the place where Jesus is believed to have taught the Lord’s Prayer, a belief that inspired the Crusaders to construct an oratory among the ruins in 1106.