Long Tower Church
Free Derry Corner
The Bogside district, to the west of the walled city, developed in the 19th and early 20th centuries as a working-class, predominantly...
St Columb's Cathedral
Built between 1628 and 1633 from the same grey-green schist as the city walls, this was the first post- Reformation church to be erected...
Hunger Strikers' Memorial
Near Free Derry Corner is the H-shaped Hunger Strikers' Memorial.
Housed in beautifully restored former school buildings with an award-winning modern extension at the rear, this community arts centre...
Delicious homemade soups, deli sandwiches, panini and excellent cappuccinos.
Lonely Planet review
Outside the city walls to the southwest is Long Tower Church , Derry’s first post-Reformation Catholic church. Built in 1784 in neo-Renaissance style, it stands on the site of the medieval Teampall Mór (Great Church), built in 1164, whose stones were used to help build the city walls in 1609. Long Tower was built with the support of the Anglican bishop of the time, Frederick Augustus Harvey, who presented the capitals for the four Corinthian columns framing the ornate high altar.