Derry's City Walls
Bogside Artists Tours
Guided one-hour walking tours of the famous People's Gallery murals led by the artists themselves. Book in advance by phone or on the...
Standing just outside the city walls, the neo-Gothic Guildhall was originally built in 1890, then rebuilt after a fire in 1908. Its fine...
Head straight to the 5th floor of this award-winning museum inside a replica 16th-century tower house for a view from the top. Then work...
Above Downey's Bar, Derry's hottest club spreads over two floors, and has the city's largest rooftop terrace and DJs that pump up the...
The Green Man is the ultimate place to pick up artisan picnic fare from around the Emerald Isle: Haven Smokehouse turf-smoked salmon,...
Derry's City Walls information
The best way to get a feel for Derry's layout and history is to walk the 1.5km circumference of the city's walls. Completed in 1619, Derry's city walls are 8m high and 9m thick, with a circumference of about 1.5km, and are the only city walls in Ireland to survive almost intact. The four original gates (Shipquay, Ferryquay, Bishop's and Butcher's) were rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries, when three new gates (New, Magazine and Castle) were added.
The walls were built under the supervision of the Honourable The Irish Society, an organisation created in 1613 by King James and the London livery companies to fund and oversee the fortification of Derry and the plantation of the surrounding county with Protestant settlers. The society still exists today (though now its activities are mainly charitable) and it still owns Derry's city walls.
Derry's nickname, the Maiden City, derives from the fact that the walls have never been breached by an invader.