go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Introducing Carnlough

Carnlough is an attractive little town with a pretty harbour and a historic hotel. Many of the buildings, made of local limestone, were commissioned by the marquess of Londonderry in 1854. The limestone quarries were in use until the early 1960s – the white stone bridge across the main street once carried a railway line that brought stone down to the harbour. The line is now a walkway that leads to the local beauty spot, Cranny Falls.

The tourist information centre (2888 5236; 14 Harbour Rd; 10am-10pm daily Easter-Sep, to 8pm Mon-Sat Oct-Easter) is in McKillop’s general store, next to the Londonderry Arms Hotel.

Advertisement