Historic Site sights in Belfast
- Sort by:
The narrow alleyways running off High St and Ann St, known as the Entries, were once bustling commercial and residential thoroughfares; Pottinger's Entry, for example, had 34 houses in 1822.
Joy's Entry is named after Francis Joy, who founded the Belfast News Letter in 1737, the first daily newspaper in the British Isles (it's still in business). One of his grandsons, Henry Joy McCracken, was executed for supporting the 1798 United Irishmen revolt.
The United Irishmen were founded in 1791 by Wolfe Tone in Peggy Barclay's tavern in Crown Entry, and used to meet in the historic Kelly's Cellars (1720; ) on Bank St, off Royal Ave.
White's Tavern (1630; ) , on Wine Cellar Entry…
North of the Harbour Commissioner's Office is the restored Clarendon Dock. Leading off it are the dry docks where Belfast's shipbuilding industry was born – No 1 Dry Dock (1796–1800) is Ireland's oldest and remained in use until the 1960s; No 2 (1826) is still used occasionally. Between the two sits the pretty little Clarendon Building, now home to the offices of the Laganside Corporation.