Coole Park information
Once home of Lady Augusta Gregory, co-founder of the Abbey Theatre and a patron of WB Yeats, the house here was demolished by nitwit bureaucrats in 1941. But displays recall its literary legacy and the present-day nature reserve is a beautiful place to stroll. Look for the autograph tree, on which many of Lady Gregory's literary guests carved their initials. It's about 3km north of Gort.
There's a visitor centre (open in summer months) and a tearoom.