St Mary’s Abbey

St Mary’s Abbey information

Location
Dublin , Ireland
Address
Meeting House Lane
Telephone
+353 1 833 1618
Getting there
Tram: Jervis, Four Courts
More information
www.heritageireland.ie
Opening hours
closed
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Where now the glories of Babylon? All that remains of what was once Ireland’s wealthiest and most powerful monastery is the chapterhouse, so forgotten that most Dubliners are unaware of its existence. In early 2016 it was temporarily closed, but when it is open visitors are treated to an exhibition put together by Heritage Ireland, the Dublin Archaeological Society and the History of Art Department at Trinity College.

Founded in 1139, this Cistercian abbey ran the show when it came to Irish church politics for much of the Middle Ages, although its reputation with the authorities was somewhat sullied when it became a favourite meeting place for rebels against the crown. On 11 June 1534 ‘Silken’ Thomas Fitzgerald, the most important of Leinster’s Anglo-Norman lords, entered the chapterhouse flanked by 140 horsemen with silk fringes on their helmets (hence his name) and flung his Sword of State on the ground in front of the awaiting King’s Council – a ceremonial two-fingered salute to King Henry VIII and his authority. Fitzgerald's abbey antics feature in the 'Wandering Rocks' chapter of Joyce's Ulysses .