Lonely Planet review for Henrietta Street
Henrietta St dates from the 1720s and was the first project of Dublin’s pre-eminent Georgian developer, Luke Gardiner. It was designed as an enclave of prestigious addresses (Gardiner himself lived at No 10), and remained one of Dublin’s most fashionable streets until the Act of Union (1801). It’s looking a little forlorn these days after spending much of the 20th century as tenement housing, where up to 70 tenants were crammed into each four-storey house. Some of the residences are in disrepair, yet it’s still a wonderful insight into the evolution of Georgian residential architecture, and features mansions of varying size and style.