Architectural, Cultural sights in County Wicklow
- Sort by:
At the centre of the graveyard to the south of the round tower is the Priest's House. This odd building dates from 1170 but has been heavily reconstructed. It may have been the location of shrines of St Kevin. Later, during penal times, it became a burial site for local priests - hence the name.
Just round the bend from the Glendalough Hotel is the stone arch of the Monastery Gatehouse, the only surviving example of a monastic entranceway in the country. Just inside the entrance is a large slab with an incised cross.