Round Towers information
Overlooking the River Shannon is the 20m-high O'Rourke's Tower . Lightning blasted the top off the tower in 1135, but the remaining structure was used for another 400 years.
Temple Finghin and its round tower are on the northern boundary of the site, also overlooking the Shannon. The building dates from around 1160 and has some fine Romanesque carvings. The herringbone-patterned tower roof is the only one in Ireland that has never been altered.