Tower sights in County Louth
- Sort by:
Topping the hill behind the main part of town is the 14th-century Magdalene Tower , the bell tower of a Dominican friary founded in 1224. Here, England's King Richard II, accompanied by a great army, accepted the submission of the Gaelic chiefs with suitable ceremony in 1395, but peace lasted only a few months and Richard's return to Ireland led to his overthrow in 1399.
The earl of Desmond was beheaded here in 1468 because of his treasonous connections with the Gaelic Irish; the tower is also reputed to be haunted by a nun.