King John's Castle

King John's Castle information

Limerick City , Ireland
Nicholas St
More information
adult/child €8/4.50
Opening hours
9.30am-5.30pm daily Apr-Sep, to 4.30pm Oct-Mar
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The massive curtain walls and towers of Limerick's showpiece castle are best viewed from the west bank of the River Shannon. The castle was built by King John of England between 1200 and 1212 on the site of an earlier fortification. It served as the military and administrative centre of the rich Shannon region, and reopened after extensive renovations in 2013.

Inside there are recreations of brutal medieval weapons like the trebuchet, as well as excavated Viking sites, reconstructed Norman features and other artefacts. Along with new multimedia displays, kids' exhibits include 'discovery drawers'.

Across medieval Thomond Bridge, on the other side of the river, the Treaty Stone marks the spot on the riverbank where the Treaty of Limerick was signed. Before you cross the bridge, look out for the 18th-century Bishop's Palace and the ancient toll gate .