Barracks Heritage Centre

Barracks Heritage Centre information

Ring of Kerry , Ireland
Address
Street Bridge St
More information
www.theoldbarracks.com
Prices
adult/student €4/2
Opening hours
10am-5.30pm Mon-Sat, 1-5.30pm Sun May-Sep,other times by arrangement
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Lonely Planet review

The Old Barracks Heritage Centre is housed in a tower of the former Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC). The barracks were burnt down in 1922 by anti-Treaty forces. Today it looks over-restored, like an oddball confection.

Topped by a spiral staircase ascending to a lookout (best suited for those who don't care to see anything), the museum covers the Fenian Rising, Daniel O'Connell and Caherciveen's other great son, Gaelic football star Jack O'Shea. There are recreations of a local dwelling at the time of the Famine and of the barracks during the 1916 Easter Rising.