Guesthouse sights in Mizen Head Peninsula
- Sort by:
With its melancholic air of faded gentility, 18th-century Bantry House makes for an intriguing visit. The house has belonged to the White family since 1729 and every room brims with treasures brought back from each generation’s travels since then. The entrance is paved with mosaics from Pompeii, French and Flemish tapestries adorn the walls, and Japanese chests sit next to Russian shrines. Upstairs, worn bedrooms look out wanly over an astounding view of the bay – the 18th-century Whites had ringside seats to the French armada. Experienced pianists are invited to tinkle the ivories of the ancient piano in the library. It’s possible to stay the night in the wings.