Ennis Friary

sights / Religious

Ennis Friary information

Ennis , Ireland
Abbey St
More information
Opening hours
10am-6pm Easter-Sep, to 5pm Oct
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Just north of the Square is Ennis Friary. It was founded by Donnchadh Cairbreach O'Brien, a king of Thomond, sometime between 1240 and 1249 and is a mix of structures dating between the 13th and 19th centuries. A roof replaces one destroyed a mere 200 years ago.

It has a graceful five-section window dating from the late 13th century, and a McMahon tomb (1460) with alabaster panels depicting scenes from the Passion. Look for the relief carving of St Francis of Assisi, patron of the Franciscans who arrived in Ennis in the early 13th century.