Candi Jago information
Lonely Planet review
Along a small road near the market in Tumpang, 22km from Malang, Candi Jago was built between 1268 and 1280 and is thought to be a memorial to the fourth Singosari king, Vishnuvardhana. The temple has some interesting decorative carving from the Jataka and the Mahabharata, carved in the three-dimensional, wayang kulit –style typical of East Java. This primarily Buddhist temple also has Javanese-Hindu statues, including a six-armed, death-dealing goddess and a lingam, the symbol of Shiva’s male potency. There are two photocopied leaflets available at the entrance. Consult these to learn more about its history.
To reach Candi Jago take a white angkot from Malang’s Arjosari bus terminal to Tumpang (4000Rp).