Fort St George

sights / Military

Lonely Planet review

Finished in 1653 by the British East India Company, the fort has undergone many facelifts over the years. Inside the vast perimeter walls is now a precinct housing Tamil Nadu's Legislative Assembly & Secretariat, along with a smattering of older buildings. One of these, the Fort Museum , has displays on Chennai's origins and the fort itself, and interesting military memorabilia from colonial times. The upstairs portrait gallery of colonial bigwigs includes a very assured-looking Robert Clive (Clive of India). St Mary's Church , completed in 1680, is India's oldest surviving British church.