Lonely Planet review
On the hillside above Panaji is the district known as Altinho. Apart from good views over the city and river, the main attraction here is the Bishop’s Palace , a huge and imposing building completed in 1893.
The archbishop of Goa came to reside in Panaji early in the 20th century, laying claim to the palatial residence at Cabo Raj Bhavan, on the promontory that looks out over the confluence of the Mandovi and Zuari Rivers. This, however, was not to be: when the Portuguese governor-general realised that it was the best property in Goa, the archbishop was forced to change his plans and settle instead for the palace here in Panaji.
Today, the crumbling mansions of Altinho constitute the most prestigious place to live in Panaji; the pope stayed here at the Bishop’s Palace during his visit to Goa in 1999.