Church of Our Lady of Miracles
Church of Our Lady of Miracles information
Founded in 1594 and rebuilt several times since, the Church of Our Lady of Miracles (also known as St Jerome’s) , around 600m east of the Municipal Gardens, is famous more for its annual festival than for its architecture. It was built by the Portuguese on the site of an old Hindu temple, and thus the Hindu community still holds the site as sacred. On the sixteenth day after Easter, the church’s annual feast day is celebrated here by both Hindus and Christians – one of the best examples of the way in which Hinduism and Christianity often coexist merrily in Goa.