Garden of Ruins
Here you’ll find some impressive remains of the Roman Savaria, excavated here since 1938. Don’t miss the beautiful mosaics of plants and...
Maulbertsch frescoes in the upstairs Reception Hall at the Baroque Bishop’s Palace, built in 1783, miraculously survived the WWII air...
A hospital superintendent by the name of Lajos Smidt was a hoarder by nature and visiting this museum gives us the opportunity to do...
This sedate café-pub on the main square attracts watchers and talkers, not party people. Come here for a quiet drink.
This restaurant-cum-wine cellar is affiliated with the Jégverem in Sopron and as such caters to 'greedy-guts' types. Portions are...
Lonely Planet review
This attractive Neoclassical cathedral looms above the quiet square. Built in 1797, it once featured stuccowork and frescoes by Franz Anton Maulbertsch and was supported by grand marble columns. Unfortunately allied bombing in the final days of WWII did not spare the cathedral, but the splendid interior has been restored with great care, featuring pink-marble pillars, a couple of Maulbertsch originals and a glorious red-and-white marble pulpit. A feature of great interest to those with a taste for the macabre is the glass coffin to the right of the entrance containing the remains of a mitre-bedecked saint.