go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Introducing Pannonhalma

Since the late 10th century, this small village 21km southeast of Győr has been the site of a Benedictine abbey, which even managed to continue functioning during the darkest days of Stalinism. Its secondary school, founded in 1802 and attended by more than 300 students, is among the best in the country. In 1996 the abbey received the distinction of being added to Unesco's World Heritage List and is now one of the most impressive historical complexes in Hungary.