St Michael's Church & Chapel of St James

sights / Religious

St Michael's Church & Chapel of St James information

Location
Sopron , Hungary
Address
Szent Mihály utca
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

At the top of the Lővér Hills, is St Michael's Church (Szent Mihály-templom), built between the 13th and 15th centuries and featuring some impressive gargoyles. Behind St Michael's to the south is the little Romanesque-Gothic Chapel of St James (Szent Jakab-kápolna), the oldest structure in Sopron and originally an ossuary. Not much escaped the Stornos' handiwork when they 'renovated' St Michael's – they even added the spire. Check out the lovely polychrome Stations of the Cross (1892) in the churchyard and the large number of tombstones with German family names.