Storno House

Storno House information

Prices
adult/senior & student 1300/750Ft
Opening hours
10am-6pm Tue-Sun Apr-Sep, 2-6pm Oct-Mar
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Storno House, built in 1417, has an illustrious history, not least because King Matthias stayed here in 1482–3, and Franz Liszt played a number of concerts here in the mid-19th century. After that, it was taken over by the Swiss-Italian family of Ferenc Storno, chimney sweep turned art restorer, whose recarving of Romanesque and Gothic monuments throughout Transdanubia divides opinions to this day. To their credit, the much-maligned Stornos did rescue many altarpieces and church furnishings from oblivion, and their house is a Gothic treasure trove. The 2nd floor of Storno House has the wonderful Storno Collection ; its highlights include the beautiful enclosed balcony with leaded windows and frescoes, an extensive collection of medieval weaponry, leather chairs with designs depicting Mephisto with his dragons, and door frames made from pews taken from 15th-century St George’s Church on Szent Győrgy utca.