Kalocsa Cathedral information
Kalocsa Cathedral (1754) was completed by András Mayerhoffer and is a baroque masterpiece, with a dazzling pink-and-gold interior full of stucco, reliefs and tracery. Some believe that the sepulchre in the crypt is that of the first archbishop of Kalocsa, Asztrik, who brought King Stephen the gift of a crown from Pope Sylvester II, thereby legitimising the Christian convert’s control over Hungary. A statue of the Asztrik on Szent István király út recalls this event. Franz Liszt was the first to play the cathedral’s magnificent 3560-pipe organ.