sights / Architecture

Lyceum information

Eger , Hungary
Eszterházy tér 1
+36 325 211
More information
library adult/student 800/550Ft
Opening hours
9.30am-3.30pm Tue-Sun Apr–mid-Oct, 9.30am-1pm Sat & Sun mid-Oct–mid-Dec, 9.30am-1.30pm Tue-Sun Feb & Mar
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Directly opposite the basilica is the recently renovated Zopf-style Lyceum (1765). The 60,000-volume library on the 1st floor of the south wing contains hundreds of priceless manuscripts and codices. The trompe l’oeil ceiling fresco (1778) depicts the Counter-Reformation’s Council of Trent (1545–63), with a lightning bolt setting heretical manuscripts ablaze. The Astronomy Museum on the 6th floor of the east wing contains 18th-century astronomical equipment, an observatory and a planetarium with regularly scheduled shows. Climb three more floors up the so-called Magic Tower (Varász Torony) to the observation deck to try out the camera obscura, the ‘eye of Eger’, designed in 1776 to entertain townspeople.