Lonely Planet review
The Temple of Hephaestus on the western edge of the Agora was surrounded by foundries and metalwork shops, and was dedicated to Hephaestus, god of the forge. It was one of the first buildings of Pericles' rebuilding programme and is the best preserved Doric temple in Greece. Built in 449 BC by Ictinus, one of the architects of the Parthenon, it has 34 columns and a frieze on the eastern side depicting nine of the Twelve Labours of Heracles.
In AD 1300 it was converted into the Church of Agios Georgios. The last service held here was on 13 December 1834 in honour of King Otho's arrival in Athens.