Government Building sights in Athens
- Sort by:
Greece's Parliament was originally the royal palace designed by the Bavarian architect Von Gartner and built between 1836 and 1842. In 1935 it became the seat of the Greek parliament and it was from the palace balcony that the syntagma (constitution) was declared on 3 September 1843. The royal family moved to a new palace, which became the presidential palace upon the abolition of the monarchy in 1974. Only the library is open to the public.
To the south of the Temple of Hephaestus was the New Bouleuterion (Council House), where the Senate (originally created by Solon) met, while the heads of government met to the south at the circular Tholos.