Parliament

sights / Architecture

Parliament information

Location
Athens , Greece
Address
Plateia Syntagmatos
Syntagma
Getting there
Metro: Syntagma
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Designed by the Bavarian architect Von Gartner and built between 1836 and 1842, Greece’s Parliament was originally the royal palace. It was from the palace balcony that the syntagma (constitution) was declared on 3 September 1843, and in 1935 the palace became the seat of parliament. The royal family moved to a new palace, which became the presidential palace upon the abolition of the monarchy in 1974. Only the library is open to the public, though exhibitions are held in the Eleftherios Venizelos Hall.