Getting around by air
Tegel Airport In the northwestern suburb of Tegel, about 8km northwest of Zoologischer Garten and 13km northwest of Alexanderplatz. It is served directly only by bus and taxi. Buy bus tickets from official transport staff, from vending machines at the bus stop or directly from the bus driver (change given).
- The TXL express bus connects Tegel to Alexanderplatz (€2.70, Tariff AB; 40 minutes) via Hauptbahnhof (central train station) and Unter den Linden every 10 minutes.
- For the City West around Zoologischer Garten take bus X9 (€2.70, Tariff AB; 20 minutes), which also runs at 10-minute intervals.
- Bus 109 heads to U-/S-Bahn station Zoologischer Garten every 10 minutes; it's slower and useful only if you're headed somewhere along Kurfürstendamm (€2.70, Tariff AB; 20 to 30 minutes).
- The closest S-Bahn station is Jungfernheide, which is a stop on the S41/S42 (the Ringbahn, or circle line). It is linked to the airport by bus X9. Another Ringbahn station, Beusselstrasse, links up with the TXL bus route. Trips cost €2.70 (Tariff AB).
Taxi rides cost about €20 to Zoologischer Garten and €27 to Alexanderplatz and take 30 to 45 minutes. There’s a €0.50 surcharge for trips originating at Tegel Airport.
- The U-Bahn station closest to the airport is Jakob-Kaiser-Platz, which is served by bus 109 and X9. From here, the U7 takes you directly to Schöneberg and Kreuzberg. Trips cost €2.70 (Tariff AB).
Schönefeld Airport About 22km southeast of Alexanderplatz this small airport is directly served by S-Bahn and regional trains. Travel to the city centre requires a transport ticket covering zones ABC (€3.30), available from vending machines in the station tunnel and on platforms (cash and debit cards; change given). Tickets must be validated before boarding (machines are on the station platforms).
S-Bahn & Regional Trains
- The airport train station is 400m from the terminals. Free shuttle buses run every 10 minutes; walking takes five to 10 minutes.
- Airport-Express trains make the trip to central Berlin twice hourly. Note: these are regular Deutsche Bahn regional trains denoted as RE7 and RB14 in timetables. The journey takes 20 minutes to Alexanderplatz and 30 minutes to Zoologischer Garten.
- The S-Bahn S9 runs every 20 minutes and is slower, but useful if you're headed to Friedrichshain (eg Ostkreuz, 30 minutes) or Prenzlauer Berg (eg Schönhauser Allee, 45 minutes).
- For the Messe (trade fair grounds), take the S45 to Südkreuz and change to the S41 to Messe Nord/ICC. Trains run every 20 minutes and the journey takes 55 minutes.
- All journeys cost €3.30.
A cab ride to central Berlin averages €42 and takes 40 minutes to an hour.
Schönefeld is not served by the U-Bahn. The nearest station, Rudow, is about a 10-minute ride on bus X7 or bus 171 from the airport. From Rudow, the U7 takes you straight into town. This connection is useful if you're headed for Neukölln or Kreuzberg. You will need an ABC transport ticket (€3.30).
Berlin Brandenburg Airport
Berlin's new central airport is taking shape about 24km southeast of the city center, next to Schönefeld airport. Once operational, it will be served by train and taxi. Check www.berlin-airport.de for the latest.