Lonely Planet review
Prussian rulers loved to hunt and the Grunewald forest was one of their favourite stomping grounds ever since Elector Joachim II first got the dogs running back in 1542. He also picked a scenic spot near a pretty lake, the Grunewaldsee , to build this Renaissance palace. The oldest existing royal abode in town, it was originally called ‘Haus am Grünen Walde’ (House in the Green Woods), which is how the forest got its name. These days the palace rooms are filled with old furniture, paintings and decorative objects which, are on public view again since the building emerged from a much-needed restoration. Meanwhile, a small exhibit on the royal hunt and the building of the palace is open in the storehouse in the courtyard. To get here take the U-Bahn to Oskar-Helene-Heim, then Bus No X10 or 115 to Königin-Luise-Strasse/Clayallee, then walk for 25 minutes west through the forest.