Lonely Planet review
The hulking 1960 State Council Building is the only remaining Schlossplatz structure from the GDR era. It integrates an arched portal from the demolished Berlin City Palace from whose balcony Karl Liebknecht proclaimed a socialist republic on 9 November 1918.
The foyer sports a kaleidoscopic glass window by the artist Walter Womacka that depicts the 'historical evolution' of the GDR from its 1918-19 revolutionary days to the founding of the state in 1949. The portraits in the centre show Liebknecht and Rosa Luxemburg, cofounders of the German Communist Party. Somewhat ironically, the building is now used by a private international business school financed by such blue-chip corporations as Bayer, Deutsche Bank and Siemens.