Lonely Planet review
West of Kleistpark, the imposing 1913 Kammergericht was the courthouse that staged the notorious show trials of the Nazi ‘people’s court’ against the participants – real and alleged – in the July 1944 assassination attempt on Hitler. Led by the fanatical judge Roland Freisler, hundreds of people were handed their death sentences; many were executed at Gedenkstätte Plötzensee , now a memorial site. Freisler, alas, was crushed to death by a falling beam in the court building during an air raid in February 1945, thereby avoiding what would undoubtedly have been a starring role at the Nuremberg Trials. After the war, the Allies used the building first as the seat of the Allied Control Council, and then, until 1990, as the headquarters of the Allied Air Control. On 3 September 1971 the Western Allies and the USSR signed the Four Power Accord in this building. Today it’s again a courthouse.