Compostela Trail - Le Puy to Aumont
Compostela Trail - Le Puy to Aumont information and booking
- Equipment Required
- Experience the busiest section of the trail - marked by magnificent architecture, crosses, statues and grain silos
- Explore the interesting town of Puy-en-Velay
- Enjoying the camaraderie of fellow hikers and pilgrims
- Learning about the tale of the “Bête du Gévaudan” (Beast of the Gévaudan).
- Viewing the contrasting landscapes and architecture between the volcanic plateau of the Velay and the granite plateau of the Gévaudan
Tour description provided by World Expeditions
Traverse the centuries of time and the borders of Europe on the medieval pilgrim trail of Compostela. In the 9th century, the tomb of the apostle St James was unearthed in Compostela. The site became the focus of a pilgrim trail beginning in France, and crossing northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela. This journey, also known as the ‘Way of St James’ winds its way across borders, following in the footsteps of thousands of medieval pilgrims through the beautiful Sierras of Navarre and Aragon. The route passes a multitude of churches and monasteries, resembling a travelling museum of Romanesque art. Four stages of this historic trail are included in our self-guided walking programs. This itinerary begins at the traditional start of the pilgrim trail to Compostela de Santiago, Puy-en Velay in France. It takes us up into the volcanic highlands of Margeride through traditional granite villages. The presence of stone chapels and the unique crosses are symbolic of the pilgrimage and a continual reminder of the religious significance of the trail.
- 4 breakfasts, 3 dinners (no dinner in le puy en velay*): breakfasts are usually continental inclusive of breads, cheese, ham, tea, coffee & juices. dinner will consist of 3 courses, usually starting with a salad, followed by a chicken, red meat, fish or pasta dish & finishing with a dessert of fruit or cakes.
- 4 nights in guesthouse or hotel, generally with private facilities. on occasion facilities will be shared with one or two other rooms.
- Information pack including maps and walking guide (per room booked)
- Visitor tax
- Baggage transportation (max 15kgs per person)
- Day 1 Arrival in Le Puy en Velay
- Day 2 To St-Privat-d'Allier (23km, 5-6hrs)
- Day 3 Descend the gorges of Allier to Saugues (17.5km, 4-5 hrs)
- Day 4 Cross the Margeride plateau to St Alban (Les Faux) (26km, 6-7hrs)
- Day 5 Descend into the Truyère valley and finish walk at Aumont-Aubrac (14.5km, 4hrs)