Classic Cols Of The Tour De France
All content by Intrepid
Every year the world holds its breath as the multi-coloured Tour de France peloton winds its way into the Pyrenees. The essence of the Tour de France is captured in this incredible cycling tour, suitable for anyone who is fit and wants to experience the buzz of cresting a pass and traversing some of Europe's most amazing scenery. From the scenic Route de la Corniche to the lofty Col de Tourmalet, this exhilarating cycling adventure will leave riders fit and healthy, and feeling completely inspired. Do you have what it takes to be King or Queen of the Mountains?
- Cycle some of the most famous Pyrenean stages of the Tour de France .
- Enjoy a flexible riding pace and stunning scenery.
- Conquer the legendary Col du Tourmalet.
- Steer clear of the grumpy goats on Col d'Aspin.
- Soak weary muscles in a scrumptious thermal spa in Luchon .
- Cycle past medieval castles and ancient ruins .
- Indulge in a few restorative glasses of French red.
Days 1-2 Ax-les-Thermes
Once a place where soldiers recuperated after returning from the Crusades, the pretty spa town of Ax-les-Thermes can be found nestled in the Pyrenees at the confluence of three rivers.
Day 3 Route de Corniches/Massat
Set in a beautiful valley amidst the peaks and rivers of the central Pyrenees, Massat is a sleepy village that seems to have been lost in the 60s.
Days 4-5 Col de Portet d'Aspet/Luchon
Located at the foot of the Pyrenees in a gorgeous valley, Luchon is a spa town with celebrated thermal springs and wonderful hikes up into the mountains.
Day 6 Col de Peyresourde and Col d'Aspin/Aste
Aste is a tiny village on the outskirts of Bagneres de Bigorre, an ancient spa town close to the famous passes of Col d'Aspin and Col du Tourmalet.
Days 7-8 Col du Tourmalet/Argeles-Gazost
Close to Lourdes and sitting snugly amongst the Pyrenees, Argelès-Gazost is an enchanting town featuring cafes, shops, thermal spas and a casino.
Maximum of 20 travellers per group
Bicycle, Support vehicle
1. You may bring your own bike, or hire one at additional cost. Your sales consultant will be able to advise the cost for bike hire. Please see Trip Notes (Important Notes) for details.