Avignon and Provence Independent City Tour
Avignon and Provence Independent City Tour information and booking
Tour description provided by Viator
The Palace of the Popes stands as the mighty symbol of the church's influence throughout the western Christian world in the 14th century. Construction was started in 1335 and completed in less than twenty years under the leadership of two builder popes, Benedict XII and his successor Clement VI.
The Popes' Palace is the biggest Gothic palace in all of Europe (15,000 square meters of floor space, which is the equivalent of 4 Gothic cathedrals). See over 20 rooms, scenes of historic events, in particular the popes' private chambers and the frescoes painted by the Italian artist Matteo Giovannetti.
The Pont d'Avignon (Pont St Benezet) was the first construction over the Rhone river, between Lyon and the Mediterranean sea in the 12th century. The bridge had 22 arches and covered approximately 900 meters linking Villeneuve les Avignon to Avignon. The bridge collapsed in the 17th century and the king did not want to pay for restoring the bridge. Today, the bridge has 4 arches, and is still so famous for the French song "Sur le Pont d'Avignon"
There is no guide or transport included. Your ticket allows fast track entry to the above attractions.
Choose a half day minivan tour (8 persons maximum) with French and English speaking driver from the following tours:
- Lavender and villages in Luberon (Gordes, Roussillon and Lavender Museum) on Tuesday morning, Friday morning or Wednesday afternoon
- Stone Monuments (St Remy de Provence, Les Baux de Provence and Pont du Gard) on Wednesday morning, Tuesday afternoon or Friday afternoon
- Van Gogh in Provence (St Remy de Provence, Les Baux de Provence and Arles) on Monday morning, Saturday morning orThursday afternoon
- Culture and Wine (Orange and Chateauneuf du Pape) on Thursday morning, Monday afternoon or Saturday afternoon
- Entrance tickets
- Half day minivan tour of your choice
- Audio guides at popes' palace and pont d'avignon
What isn't included
- Optional gratuities
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Guide (except on minivan tour)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Transport (except on minivan tour)