Chapelle Notre Dame de la Medaille Miraculeuse

sights / Religious

Chapelle Notre Dame de la Medaille Miraculeuse information

Paris , France
140 rue du Bac, 7e
+33 1 49 54 78 88
Getting there
Metro: Rue du Bac or Vaneau
More information
Opening hours
7.45am-1pm & 2.30-7pm Mon & Wed-Sun, 7.45am-7pm Tue
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Tucked away at the end of a courtyard across from Le Bon Marché department store, this extraordinary and beautiful chapel is a place of pilgrimage. In 1830, the Virgin Mary spoke to 24-year-old Catherine Labouré. In a series of three miraculous apparitions that took place here, the young novice seminary sister was told to have a medal made that would protect and grace those who wore it. The first Miraculous Medals were made in 1832.

The same year a cholera epidemic plagued Paris and the medals' popularity spread rapidly as wearers of the medal found themselves miraculously cured or protected from the deadly disease. Devout Roman Catholics around the world still wear the medal today.

Catherine Labouré (1806–76), the eighth child of a Burgundian farmer, was beatified in 1933 and her body moved to a reliquary beneath the altar of Our Lady of the Globe (to the right as you face the main altar) inside the Chapel of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.