Abbaye aux Hommes
Musée de la Poste
The half-timbered, 16th-century Musée de la Poste is one of the two of the only prewar buildings left in the city centre near Château de...
Musée de Normandie
This two-part museum looks at traditional life in Normandy and the region's history and archaeology. Admission prices depend on...
Jardin des Simples
Restaurant à Table
An excellent option for traditional French cuisine – including four fish and four meat mains – at reasonable prices. Specialities...
Abbaye aux Hommes information
Lonely Planet review
Caen's two Romanesque abbeys were founded in the mid-11th century by William the Conqueror and his wife, Matilda of Flanders, as part of a deal in which the Church pardoned these fifth cousins for having semi-incestuously married each other. With its magnificent and multiturreted Église St-Étienne, the Abbaye aux Hommes is near the western end of rue Écuyère. This was William's final resting place, though the original tomb was destroyed by a 16th-century Calvinist mob and, in 1793, by fevered revolutionaries – a solitary thighbone is all that's left of Will's mortal remains. Today, the 18th-century convent buildings house the town hall, and tours of the abbey (adult/child €4/free, free on Sundays) run at 9.30am, 11am, 2.30pm and 4pm.