Lonely Planet review
Shaped like an eight-pointed star, Vauban’s fortified town of Neuf-Brisach was commissioned by Louis XIV in 1697 to strengthen French defences and prevent the area from falling to the Habsburgs.
A Unesco World Heritage Site since 2008, the citadel has remarkably well-preserved fortifications. The Musée Vauban, below the porte de Belfort gate, tells the history of the citadel through models, documents and building plans. Neuf-Brisach is just 4km from its German twin Breisach am Rhein on the banks of the River Rhine.
To reach Neuf-Brisach, 16km southeast of Colmar, follow the signs on the D415.