Convent Church

sights / Religious

Convent Church information

Location
Naantali , Finland
Opening hours
10am-6pm daily May, 10am-8pm daily Jun-Aug, 11am-3pm Sun, noon-2pm Wed Sep-Apr
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Medieval Naantali grew up around the Catholic Convent of the Order of Saint Birgitta, which was dissolved after the 1527 Reformation. The only building that remains today is the massive Convent Church, which towers above the harbour. The church was completed in 1462, though its baroque stone tower dates from 1797. The interior is surprisingly wide, with elegant vaulting and a very handsome 17th-century pulpit depicting the apostles and evangelists in a blaze of colour. Also noteworthy is the carved 15th-century polychrome wood triptych behind the altar and an evocative wooden head of Christ below it. Archaeological digs around the church unearthed more than 2000 pieces of jewellery, coins and other relics now in the museum.

During summer there’s a program of organ music; the tourist office can provide a schedule. At 8pm on summer evenings you’ll hear ‘vespers’ (evensong) played by a trumpeter from the belfry of the church. The church was closed for repairs at the time of research: check the website for opening hours.