- 10am-6pm daily May, 10am-8pm daily Jun-Aug, 11am-3pm Sun, noon-2pm Wed Sep-Apr
Lonely Planet review for Convent Church
The only building remaining from the Convent of the Order of Saint Birgitta is the massive Convent Church, which towers above the harbour. The church was completed in 1462 though its baroque stone tower dates from 1797. The interior is surprisingly wide, with elegant vaulting and a very handsome 17th-century pulpit depicting the apostles and evangelists in a blaze of colour. Also noteworthy is the carved 15th-century polychrome wood triptych behind the altar and an evocative wooden head of Christ below it. Recent archaeological digs around the church revealed more than 2000 pieces of jewellery, coins and other relics that appear in the museum.