Neljän Tuulen Tupa
Neljän Tuulen Tupa information
On Little Pine Island, 1.5km east of the Hanko town centre, is the House of the Four Winds, where locals snuck swigs of ‘hard tea’ (alcohol) during the Finnish prohibition (1919–32). Field Marshal CGE Mannerheim, who had his summer cottage on the neighbouring island, wouldn’t stand for it. Disturbed by the merrymaking, he bought the whole joint in 1927, fired the chef, imported teasets from France and personally ran the place until 1931. Little Pine Island is now connected to the mainland by a bridge and has a beautiful cafe (cakes €2 to €4) and summer terrace, with granite tables carved from the surrounding rocks.