Lutheran Church

sights / Religious

Lutheran Church information

Location
Ilomantsi , Finland
Address
Henrikintie 1
Opening hours
11.30am-5.30pm Mon-Sat late Jun–mid-Aug
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

When the Swedes took the area they sought to convert the Orthodox population by building this gigantic Lutheran church in 1796. It’s also known as the Church of a Hundred Angels for its colourful and comprehensive wall paintings, completed in 1832 by Samuel Elmgren – vivid images that must have done much to sway illiterate locals towards the Western faith.