Situated at the narrow isthmus separating Lafonia from the northern half of East Falkland, Darwin is named after the young Charles Darwin, who visited the Falklands from 1833 to 1834 on HMS Beagle and spent a night ashore close to where the settlement is today. Darwin later became the center of the FIC’s Camp operations, but by 1920 the farm site had become too small for the thriving settlement and there were water shortages. Over a two-year period most of the population was shifted to nearby Goose Green. Today Darwin is little more than a big lodge building and a smaller, older building housing two flats. Close to the lodge is a fine restored stone corral built in 1874.