Government Building sights in Southwestern Estonia & The Islands
- Sort by:
The main thoroughfare of the historic centre is Rüütli tänav, lined with splendid buildings dating back to the 17th century. Just off the main street is the Red Tower, the city's oldest building, which dates from the 15th century. Originally bigger, this was the southeast corner of the medieval town wall, of which nothing more remains. At one stage the tower was used as a prison. Today a small gallery is housed on the top floor, and a craft market fills the courtyard.
The former Town Hall is a yellow and white classical edifice originally built in 1797 as the home of a rich merchant. The grey and white Jugendstil north wing with its little spire was added in 1911.
Across Nikolai from the main Town Hall building there's a half-timbered house dating from 1740.