With its walls covered in its original graffiti, this is where 19th-century students were held in solitary confinement for various...
University Art Museum
The collection comprises mainly plaster casts of ancient Greek sculptures made in Europe in the 1860s and 1870s, along with an Egyptian...
Tsink Plekk Pang
Behind Tartu’s funkiest facade (look for the stripy paintwork) and set over three floors is this cool Asian-flavoured restaurant-lounge....
Tartu’s most upmarket restaurant is within the romantic, candlelit nooks and crannies of the Antonius Hotel’s vaulted cellar, which...
Tartu University information
Lonely Planet review
Fronted by six Doric columns, the impressive main building of the university was built between 1803 and 1809. The university itself was founded in 1632 by the Swedish king Gustaf II Adolf (Gustavus Adolphus) to train Lutheran clergy and government officials. It was modelled on Uppsala University in Sweden.
The university closed during the Great Northern War around 1700 but reopened in 1802, later becoming one of the Russian empire’s foremost centres of learning. Its early emphasis on science is evidenced by the great scholars who studied here in the 19th century, including physical chemistry pioneer and Nobel prize winner for chemistry, Wilhelm Ostwald; physicist Heinrich Lenz; and the founder of embryology, natural scientist Karl Ernst von Baer.