Linnamägi

sights / Historic

Linnamägi information

Location
Otepää , Estonia
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The pretty tree-covered hill south of the church was an ancient Estonian stronghold for around 800 years before it was topped by an episcopal castle in 1224. Known as the 'Bear's Head' (oti pää), it's from this that the town takes its name. Remnants of the fortifications remain on the top along with wonderful views of the surrounding valleys. The castle was largely destroyed in 1396 in a battle between the Bishop of Tartu and the Livonian Order.